Is your networked printer or multifunction printer secure? If you can’t answer this question with a resounding “yes absolutely,” then your network may be vulnerable to breach. If your printer is a part of your network, and it’s not secure, then it may be an open door to your network.
In 2017, researchers tested the security of 20 common office printers. What they found was that every model tested was susceptible to at least one type of attack. Many were prone to multiple attack methods.
Securing Your Networked Printer of MFP
Today’s printers and MFPs are basically computers attached to your network. Most have hard drives, can connect to the internet, and as a result, need to be secured just like any other device on your company network.
There are some relatively simple things you can do to keep your printer secure and your network safe. They include:
- Changing the printer’s default administration login credentials.
- Keep the software and firmware updated. Manufacturers often release updates to enhance security, add features, or address bugs. Update your printer as soon as possible after a release.
- Monitor your printers. Many come with monitoring and alert systems.
- Keep your printer behind a firewall and implement network security protocols.
- Implement a user authentication system to track usage and prevent unauthorized access.
- Disable features you don’t need like Telnet, FTP and storing.
- Use security features included with your printer – like encryption.
- Isolate your printer on a local network, separate from your main company network, then disable out-of-network printing. While you may not be able to use features like faxing and email, your network will remain secure.
The methods that will work best for you depend upon the printers in your fleet, your network, and your printer usage. If you’d like to learn more about securing your networked printer, give us a call and schedule a free, no-obligation assessment. We can help you recognize gaps in your security, and the fixes you need to keep your data safe.
207 Boeing Court
Livermore, CA 94551