While today many businesses are making the transition from paper to digital, many organizations still rely on paper documents for governance, operational needs, and general day-to-day management. For many of us, it can be difficult to let go of our reliance on paper, but there are quite a number of benefits to digitization, particularly in paper-heavy fields like the medical, legal, or financial industries.
However, no matter what industry your business is in, it will benefit from digitization. Here are several major reasons why you should digitize!
- You’ll Reduce Costs – Paper has many hidden and not so hidden costs associated with processing, organizing and storage. Electronic files are easier to store, easier to search, and cheaper to transport. With less need for physical space to store paper records, you might even save money on rent.
- Digitized Documents Increase Efficiency – Digitizing your documents can increase productivity and efficiency in your business in several ways. It can improve response times when dealing with customers leading to more satisfied customers. It can also streamline your operations. Digitized documents are easy to search, find and organize.
- Digitization Saves Physical Space – Filing cabinets can take up a lot of valuable real estate in your office. According to The Schedule, storing paper records in a 4-drawer file cabinet can cost over $2000. Transforming a previous storage room into office space can help you better utilize your space. Some paper documents need to be saved in their original form. Speak with your attorney or accountant to clarify.
- It’s Environmentally Friendlier – The average office worker prints 10,000 sheets of paper annually. When you digitize, your need for paper is reduced. This simple task will reduce your carbon footprint.
- Regulatory Compliance is Easier – There are many regulations that affect different industries requiring record keeping in order to remain within the law. Going digital can make it easier to comply. It becomes easier to secure sensitive information and you’re less likely to lose vital information when it’s backed up digitally.
The process of going digital can seem overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be! Give us a call and let us show you how easy, efficient, and affordable it is to take your document management digital!