Since the dawn of the Internet, cyber thieves have been hard at work discovering new and innovative methods of stealing information and disrupting network systems around the globe. Recovering from a malware attack can be a difficult, costly undertaking, making them much easier to prevent than to fix. Implementing a series of policies and procedures throughout each level of your organization is a great first step, but they’re only as effective as the people who follow them.
Read on for a great list of essential tips to add to your arsenal to help protect your network and your business.
Five Tips for the Prevention of Malware Attacks
- Don’t skimp on security. Implement a broad range of security measures to prevent malware attacks, complete with firewalls. Additional capabilities should include filtering of spam and junk mail, blocking harmful web traffic and scanning of incoming links; the more protective measures that are in place, the better.
- Keep it simple. Schedule regular scans on all office PCs to check for malware, and make it a requirement to scan all attachments or downloads prior to opening.
- Dial out. If you receive an email from a colleague with a suspicious title, link or unexpected attachment, give them a quick call to verify its legitimacy before opening. If it turns out they didn’t send the email, it will let them know they have a virus that requires attention.
- Be choosy. Don’t allow employees to access your company network from their own devices, opting instead to use only authorized devices or computers. Lax security settings, weak passwords and poor judgement can lead to a malware attack, where vital information is stolen, and operations are disabled or disrupted.
- Continuing education. Ensure all staff is kept up to date on the latest security threats, through regular communications and ongoing training.
A proven Managed IT Services provider can help ensure you have comprehensive security in place to prevent malware attacks, including the implementation of the five tips listed above.
207 Boeing Court
Livermore, CA 94551