A crypto virus is a type of ransomware virus that encrypts files on a compromised computer or server and demands a ransom in return for a decryption code. The US government reports that the rate of crypto virus attacks is increasing, with as many as 4,000 attacks each day and more than $1 billion in ransom paid each year.
How They Work
A crypto virus is usually introduced to an organization by an employee clicking and opening an email that was infected. Once released, the virus immediately begins locking up data on a PC and begins to look for the server to do the same. Access to data is held hostage until a ransom is paid to release it. This involves transferring money – usually Bitcoin – to the attacker in the hopes that the data will be released.
There are several important steps a company can take to protect themselves:
- Having an anti-virus that will stop a crypto virus loading on devices and servers is important. However, crypto is ever-evolving and many anti-virus solutions can’t address or keep up with the changing nature of the virus.
- Keeping your security software up to date is critical.
- Never click on unverified links, don’t open untrusted email attachments and only download from websites you trust.
- Many attacks target you where you’re most vulnerable: your employees. Regularly educate employees on how to recognize a threat and make cybersecurity a core element of your company culture.
- Always backup your data. Ultimately, if the above safeguards fail, regularly backing up your data to the cloud gives you the best chance to recover should your computer or server become infected with ransomware.
Infections are almost inevitable in today’s interconnected world. You need to have a game plan in place for responding quickly and effectively. Let our team of seasoned IT security specialists help you develop a backup and recovery strategy to protect your business data and network from crypto virus attacks, malware and other viruses. Call us today and let’s talk about how we can keep your data safe, and your network secure.
207 Boeing Court
Livermore, CA 94551